Photo Exhibition

For my J-Term, I needed to come up with a three photograph exhibition. I struggled a lot at first to think of a concept because I really wanted it to be something special or representative of me as a person and artist. After thinking it over for two weeks, I thought of the idea to combine two of my favorite artistic pastimes; music and photography. I needed three photos and since I can play three instruments– piano, guitar, and alto saxophone– I decided to take pictures of the instruments I had at my house. I have always been interested in long exposure photography, so I decided to incorporate that. I also thought that it would be a unique way to photograph instruments that I had never seen done before. For this picture of a guitar, I traced its outline with a green laser pointer while my camera was set up on a tripod. I set the shutter on my camera to stay open until I finished tracing the guitar. I went through the same process with the other two photos. I only had three different colored laser pointers, so I was constrained to only being able to use purple, red, and green. I knew that I wanted each instrument to be colored differently to make them pop against each other. I decided to use the purple on the piano because I feel that the piano can is a very mellow instrument and purple is a calming color. I used red on the saxophone because red is a warm color and a saxophone is often described as being hot. I used the green for the guitar because green is a color that is in nature and is used to describe natural objects and the guitar is acoustic, not electric.
Learning Outcome #1

Comments

Popular Posts